What Is A Brainwave? – Stimulation And Brainwave Entrainment
In this post I will talk about the different brainwave types and structured it in three sections:
- What is a brainwave?
- Brainwave Stimulation
- Where to get brainwave entrainment tracks?
What Is A Brainwave?
The brain consists of 100 billion brain cells, so called neurons. In order for the neurons to communicate they use electricity. When millions of neurons communicate simultaneously they create an enormous amount of electrical activity which can be measured. Depending on the state of mind that you are in right now your brain displays a certain brain wave pattern. This pattern itself has a wave-like pattern which is commonly referred to as brainwave.
Neurons in the brain use electricity to communicate with each other.
Frequency ranges differ depending on the source that is used. Further, a brain wave state is actually a broader range which again can correspond to various aspects of mental activity. A brainwave state such as Beta or Alpha therefore may be considered as a predominant.
How to measure brainwaves
Electroencephalography (EEG) is the monitoring method that records the electrical activity (voltage fluctuations) of the brain by placing electrodes on the scalp. Diagnosing the results from the different electrodes is done by focusing on the spectral content of EEG, which is the type of neural oscillations, commonly referred to as brain waves.
Frequency Range: 30+ Hz
- higher processing task, cognitive functioning
- important for learning, memory, language and information processing
- associated with formation of ideas
- individuals who are mentally challenged while having learning disabilities tend to have lower gamma activity than average
- most subtle brainwave frequency, minds need to be quiet to access it
- universal love, altruism, greater presence of Gamma is speculated to relate to expanded consciousness and spiritual emergence, hyper awareness
- increased by meditation
Frequency: 12 to 30 Hz
- Being wide awake during day time in waking lives
- attention to the outside world and cognitive tasks
- being engaged in problem solving
- decision making
- focused mental activity
Frequency: 8 to 12 Hz
- dominant during quietly flowing thoughts, light meditative states
- resting state for the mind
- being in the present moment, relaxing, creative
- calmness, alertness, mind/body integration and learning
Frequency: 4 to 8 Hz
- associated with being asleep or in very deep meditation
- gateway to learning and memory
- senses are focused on signals originating from within, out of body experience
- drifting off to sleep or being about to wake up, dreaming, vivid imagery
- intuition and information beyond normal conscious awareness, higher level of mind
Frequency: 0.5 to 4 Hz
- generated in deepest meditation and deep dreamless sleep
- suspend external awareness and source of empathy
- healing and regeneration are stimulated –> deep sleep is essential for healing process
- being unconscious
Depending on your state of mind and thoughts, brainwaves can give indications to certain psychological and neurological conditions. By simply observing peoples brainwave patterns you could identify overly anxious people (overabundance of high beta waves) while people with ADHD tend to have an overabundance of slower alpha and theta waves. Besides being representative of the mental state, brainwaves can also be used to change a person’s mental state, and this in turn can help with a variety of mental issues.
Subsequently, I am going to talk about how to get into different brainwave states.
Throughout the day you will naturally go through different brain wave states. Beta waves you would have when you are alert and awake (e.g. driving a car). When you are daydreaming or close your eyes you will shift more to the alpha brain wave state. When you are experienced in mediation you will also be able to get into the Theta Brainwave state.
You can say that whatever alters your perception or awareness changes also your brainwaves. This could be achieved also by chemical substances such as medications and drugs. Another way to change your brain wave state is yoga and regular meditation which will balance your brain wave states. Other methods like hypnosis (link to hypnosis) and brainwave entrainment work as well.
It is important to understand that there is no border between one state and another one, it is more like a smooth change. And within the Beta state you have also various levels that represent different aspects of that brainwave pattern.
Further, you may find different definitions of the respective brainwave states, so don’t worry about that, it is more the rough categorization that matters. And you have to realize that the more you try to get into a certain brainwave state the easier and more effective it will become, so it is like training a muscle.
How does brainwave entrainment work?
If you would like to get into the Alpha state you would go back on top and see that it is between frequencies of 8 to 12 Hz. Now let’s say that you aim at the 10 Hz frequency then you will realize that the human ear can only hear musical tones only in a range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz. So how can you get into this state?
The way brainwave binaural entrainment tracks are setup is that you have to listen to them using headphones. While one side may play a steady tone at 400 Hz the other side may play a sound at 410 Hz (410 Hz -400 Hz = 10 Hz). Now while each tone alone is a continuous sound, when heard together, there appears to be a pulsing tone sounding like it is located in the middle of your head between your ears. Although this tone exists only in your brain, it is also real, because it is created by the brain, thus increasing the brainwave activity in that frequency which in our case is 10 Hz. As the 10 Hz brainwave pattern is associated with the Alpha state, you would start feeling more relaxed and an EEG test would how that your brain displays an increased amplitude of the 10 Hz Alpha brainwave frequency. This kind of entrainment is what you would call binaural beats.
This will help you to relax and to rejuvenate in various aspects
Similar to binaural beats, isochronic tones are a way of audio-based brainwave entrainment. Simply speaking, these are tones that are turned on and off rapidly, thus creating distinctive pulses of sound. The benefit of using isochronic tones is that you do not need to use headphones.
Besides simply listening to these sounds, they can be also combined with audio-visual subliminal messages, which would require you to watch a video while listening. This may increase the efficiency, but personally I like to listen in the background while doing other stuff at the same time
Benefits of brainwave entrainment
One way to get into your desired brainwave state is using so called brain wave music. Depending on which state you want to tune into you can also listen to them while you are studying or working or also to get relaxed and into a hypnotic state. If you are meditating you can use brainwave music to increase the benefits of doing so.
Some areas that can be improved by using brainwave entrainment sound:
- your cognition, attention, focus
- stress reduction
- emotional stability
- studying and concentration
- motivation and feeling more energetic
- deeper meditation and being more centered and peaceful
Where To Get Brainwave Entrainment Tracks?
Below I list three ways to get to your brainwave entrainment sound. I can highly recommend to try it out for yourself.
- Searching on Youtube for binaural beats or brainwaves you will find hundreds of videos for different frequencies and they are for free.
- For more information regarding brainwave technology and if you want to acquire your personal brainwave file then you can go to the Immrama Institute
- Personnally I prefer Blisscoded Sounds because they use a more advanced technology and I feel that these brainwave entrainment sounds are way more powerful. I may do a review on this in one of my upcoming posts and why I think it is beneficial to use these more advanced sounds.
For more information check out The Ultimate Guide To Brainwave Entrainment by Tony Balbin. I can highly recommend you to have a look at it if you are interested to go even deeper into the topic.
So there you have it, another really powerful way to get your mind in alignment with yourself. This adds up to other powerful tools such as hypnosis and EFT. Technology is advancing more and more and there are good reasons to use it for our personal development and to become the best version of ourselves.
Heal thyself before you try to help others. If you have any questions or want to share if brainwave entrainment has worked for you or not, you may leave a comment below.
I encourage us to have an open discussion about any of the mentioned topics on this website. Only because these things work for me, doesn’t mean that they have to do for you, so please share what you think. And when they do work for you as well, then your experience with it could encourage others to give it a try as well.
Check Out The Mind Shop
- 8 Spiritual Techniques Every Enlightened Person Must Know. Get Infinite Happiness, Phenomenal Mental Balance, Endless Spiritual Energy
- 8 Modules: Astral Projections; Self Hypnosis; Opening the Third Eye; Meditation; Visiting the Akashic Records; Lucid Dreaming; Astral Energy Activities; Reading Auras
- 60 Days Money Back Guarantee! 100% Risk Free!